Friday, March 15, 2019

WLANPros Phoenix 2019 ECSE experiences and notes


This year my employer supported my attendance to the fantastic WLANPros Conference plus my attendance to the Ekahau Certified Survey Engineer class to help me get familiar with the Ekahau software with the goal of converting over from the Airmagnet Survey and Planner toolset.

The instructor for the ECSE class was the amazing Ferney Munoz .  Mr Munoz is an extremely knowledgeable and engaging instructor who really knows the material thoroughly and it is apparent he has lived most of what he teaches.  If you ever have the opportunity to take one of his classes please go out of your way to attend as you will be a better network engineer after he is done with you.  This class was MUCH more then I expected.  I expected to get decent instruction on how to operate the use the Ekahau Site Survey and Planner software but what I got was a huge refresh on many of the issues we need to think about and consider as we design wireless networks.  Mr Munoz did a great job keeping the material fresh and interesting even though much was review for me but also gave me new ways to consider what I do everyday.

Notes for me to remember

The WLAN Design Steps:
Define - Devices - Use - Coverage - Quantity - Construction - Budget
Design - Remember the Least Capable Most Important Device
Deploy - How will you get it done?  Coordination etc..
Validate - Did you achieve the design goals - Post survey heat maps are your coverage documentation.

Measure the RF Loss on each typical wall




Measuring Wall Attenuation - Basic - dB loss is =x-y  
Do not use active connection with AP while measuring
Allow for about for 10 feet between RF source and wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment